Loading Events

« All Events

Mentoring Day – Friday December 1st

December 1, 2017 @ 3:00 pm - 6:30 pm UTC+0

Dear Members and Applicants:

Please join us for our annual Mentoring Day, held at 3pm on Friday, December 1st, 2017, at:

Pier 57 (15th Street & 11th Avenue)

Pier 57 is located adjacent to the Meatpacking District, West Chelsea, the High Line, the Whitney, and Chelsea Market, and sits at one of the most trafficked areas of the city. The Pier includes 12-acres of raw space to be transformed into almost 500,000 square feet of commercial and retail area consisting of four floors of above grade office and retail, a rooftop park, and one floor of below grade office, retail, storage, and parking (housed in the caissons that support the structure). When redevelopment is complete, Google, the Anchor Office Tenant, will have over 250,000 square feet of office space in the Pier.

The original Pier 57 burned down in 1947 in one of the city’s worst pier fires – which spread very quickly through the timber pile supports. The Pier as you see it now was built from 1950 to 1954 and its revolutionary construction got it placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004. In lieu of timber piles, 90% of the Pier’s weight is supported by three underwater concrete caissons that were floated down the Hudson River (The remaining 10% is supported by the riverbed). Pier 57 is the only Pier supported by caissons in NYC.

Since its construction, the Pier has served as a shipping pier and cruise terminal (1954-1969), MTA bus depot and maintenance facility (1969-2003), and was abandoned and vacant since 2003 – except for a small period of time in 2004 when the Pier was actually used as a detention center for protesters during the 2004 Republican National Convention in NYC.

On behalf of YM/WREA, we would like to thank RXR Realty for hosting this event.

If you have any questions please contact me at 212.841.7713.

Sincerely,

Jason Greenstone Governor – YM/WREA of New York, Inc.

Details

Date:
December 1, 2017
Time:
3:00 pm - 6:30 pm UTC+0
Event Category:

Not a member, but attending an event as the guest of a member? Register as a guest.